|Dr. Mark Drews, associate medical director of Adult and Geriatric Medicine, provides care at Whittier Street Health Center. (Chris Aduama photo)|
In January 2012, Whittier Street Health Center will move to its new building located just down the road from its current site. Right next to the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center at Roxbury Community College, Whittier’s new building will more than double the health center’s size, allowing for easier access, convenience, expanded services and a more comfortable environment for its patients.
A recent survey of Whittier Street Health Center patients found that most people seek their care at the health center because it is convenient, has a lot of services and because their friends or family members have had such good experiences with the doctors and the staff. In fact, more than half of Whittier’s patients first started seeking care at the health center because a friend or family member told them they should go. Additionally, 100 percent of patients are satisfied with their doctor or provider and 99 percent rate the quality of care highly.
With high standards of care and a large number of programs and services available to patients all offered in a convenient location, it is no wonder so many new patients are switching their care to Whittier. Over the next year, Whittier expects to enroll 6,000 new patients in primary care and is adding new doctors and providers to meet the increasing demand for services.
This convenience and access to quality services will be expanded in Whittier’s new building. At 79,000 square feet, the new building will more than double the number of exam rooms, allowing for shorter wait times for patients. Additionally, both the dental and eye care departments will expand capacity, making it easier to get all of your needed appointments done in one day. You can see your doctor for your physical, and then get your eyes checked by one of our optometrists in the same afternoon.
In addition to these health care services, Whittier’s new building will also offer a number of specialty services and programs that are designed to make taking care of your health and the health of your family as easy as possible. These services include:
• A walk-in Urgent Care Clinic where we will see you or a loved one without an appointment for many medical issues you may be used to going to the emergency room for, including coughs, colds, asthma attacks, cuts, burns, fractures and elevated blood pressure.
• An onsite pharmacy for your prescription needs with a prescription assistance program for eligible patients where we will help you cover the cost of your medication and/or co-pays.
• Expanded cancer services, including onsite mammography and a community cancer clinic in partnership with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to bring cancer services directly to the community.
• Behavioral health services where we can work with you to help you overcome issues related to stress, depression, anxiety and any substance abuse concerns you might have.
• Lab, X-ray and other diagnostic services available onsite, including ultrasound services.
• A number of health programs designed to help you maintain good health, including adult and pediatric healthy weight programs, diabetes management, childhood asthma control and cancer survivorship.
Whittier Street Health Center is Joint Commissioned accredited, meaning we provide the highest quality care. Whittier is also committed to the concept of the Patient-Centered Medical Home, which means we always put the needs of our patients first and will see anyone regardless of whether they have health insurance or are unable to pay for services.
Make an appointment with Whittier Street Health Center today by calling 617-427-1000. Then make the move with us to our new building where you will have access to convenient health care services right in your neighborhood from doctors who care about the health of you and your family.