Moroccan Chicken Recipe
with Brown Rice and Lemon Sautéed Spinach
An easy to fix meal that’s low in sodium and high in potassium.
4 servings | About $4.21 per serving
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive or canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced from the jar, or 2 cloves minced or sliced
- 1 14.5 oz. can crushed or diced low-sodium tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate or pie dish; coat with spice mixture. Allow chicken to stand in spices for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, top with onions, tomato and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes then flip chicken and cook for 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through.
- 1½ cups of instant brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon Sautéed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 6 cups of spinach, washed and dried
- ½ lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice from the jar
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach, handfuls at a time, leaving enough room to stir. If all the spinach won’t fit in the pan
- let some wilt down and continue to add spinach until all leaves are wilted.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over spinach (or sprinkle juice from jar).