July 15th, 2013
Moroccan Chicken Recipe
with Brown Rice and Lemon Sautéed Spinach
Moroccan Chicken with Brown Rice and Lemon Sautéed Spinach
An easy to fix meal that’s low in sodium and high in potassium.
4 servings | About $4.21 per serving
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive or canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced from the jar, or 2 cloves minced or sliced
- 1 14.5 oz. can crushed or diced low-sodium tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate or pie dish; coat with spice mixture. Allow chicken to stand in spices for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, top with onions, tomato and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes then flip chicken and cook for 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through.
- 1½ cups of instant brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon Sautéed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 6 cups of spinach, washed and dried
- ½ lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon juice from the jar
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach, handfuls at a time, leaving enough room to stir. If all the spinach won’t fit in the pan
- let some wilt down and continue to add spinach until all leaves are wilted.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over spinach (or sprinkle juice from jar).