Digital Communications Specialist
Digital Communications Specialist – August 2014
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Digital Communications, the Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for maintaining online content and communications for YouthBuild USA including youthbuild.org , social media channels, and email in support of the organization’s overall communications strategy.
The Digital Communications Specialist will be an active member of the Development and Communications Team and work across departments to ensure that all initiatives of YouthBuild USA and YouthBuild International are represented online, with a focus on telling the stories of YouthBuild, its work and graduates in an engaging and respectful way.
- Daily management and content development for YouthBuild’s social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Working across departments and with our network of local YouthBuild programs, recommend and implement tactics to leverage YouthBuild’s social media followings for engagement and promotional purposes.
- Track and measure data to optimize social media strategies, maintaining monthly reports for Senior Management Team.
- Gather written content, take photographs and manage social media at YouthBuild and YouthBuild-related events.
- Create and modify graphics for website and social media.
- Create content to be shared with the general public including the writing of original articles, sourcing and editing of articles written by other contributors, and contributing to the editorial calendar.
- Collect and refine content from staff and other sources to be used for all digital channels.
- Create and maintain a library of graduate stories and other assets.
Graduate/Student/Staff Engagement and Story Telling
- Create and support systems to engage YouthBuild graduates nationwide in social media both broadly and through specific campaigns.
- Participate in ongoing efforts to capture and convey stories from YouthBuild students, graduates, and local program staff, particularly at YouthBuild USA led conferences, meetings and trainings.
- Assist and train staff on mass email tools.
- Build HTML email newsletters.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or marketing or equivalent experience.
- 2-4 years of experience in management of social media channels.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to write compelling web copy.
- Familiarity with HTML for email newsletters.
- Some experience with Excel, using spreadsheets for data and tracking with some analytical experience.
- Comfort navigating various mass mailing tools and CRMs; experience with a content management system, Drupal preferred.
- Experience with recording and editing video preferred, but not required.
- Comfort learning new technology on the job.
- Strong relationship building skills, along with a proactive inclination and ability to build meaningful partnerships with a wide variety of audiences.
- Capacity for multi-tasking across projects and departments to deliver high quality products and ideas on tight timelines. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural community and building strong cross cultural working relationships.
- Overall understanding of and demonstrated commitment to YouthBuild USA’s mission; addressing the range of pressing societal, educational, community leadership and workforce developmental needs facing young people who live in low-income communities.
How to Apply
If you are interested in learning more about YouthBuild USA, please visit our website at www.youthbuild.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to: Job Search, YouthBuild USA, 58 Day Street, Somerville, MA 02144 or you may apply on-line @ http://www.youthbuild.org/apply. Please apply by September 15, 2014. YouthBuild USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets.