Salmon Kebabs with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
This simple and flavorful recipe combines salmon, which is high in omega-3 fatty acids with garlic, spices and fresh vegetables. The recipe is from Simple Cooking with Heart, a program of the American Heart Association.
1 lb. salmon cut into 1” x 1” pieces
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. fresh oregano or ¼ tsp. dried oregano
1 clove fresh garlic or ½ tsp. jarred, minced garlic
1 tsp. fresh or jarred lemon juice (half of a lemon) and ¼ tsp. lemon zest
1 small bell pepper (any color)
1 small red onion
2 cups mushrooms
8 wooden skewers
Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
1 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
¾ tsp. fresh, or jarred lemon juice
1 tsp. fresh, coarsely chopped dill or ¼ tsp. dried dill
1 tsp. fresh oregano or ½ tsp. dried oregano
⅓ cup cucumber (½ cucumber)
¼ tsp. honey
¼ tsp. black pepper
Total Time: 40 min
- Whisk together 2 tsp. olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Add salmon and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- To make tzatziki sauce, stir together yogurt, lemon juice and zest, dill, oregano, cucumber, honey and pepper.
- Toss vegetables in remaining olive oil and assemble each skewer with 3 pieces of salmon, alternating between vegetables.
- Heat grill-pan or sauté pan. Over medium heat, add skewers to pan, cover loosely with foil. You may have to cook in two batches of 4 skewers. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of tzatziki sauce.
Makes four servings at $4.04 a serving
Total Fat: 10.0 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 5.0 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
Sodium: 112 mg
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Total Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 30 g
Source: American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart® Program (heart.org/simplecooking)