Moroccan Chicken with Brown Rice and Lemon Sautéed Spinach
An easy to fix meal that’s low in sodium and high in potassium
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive or canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
1 14.5 oz. can crushed or diced low-sodium tomatoes
½ cup water
- In a small bowl mix paprika, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate or pie dish; coat with spice mixture. Allow chicken to stand in spices for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, top with onions, tomato and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes then flip chicken and cook for 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through.
(Per serving): 4 servings
About $4.21 per serving
- Calories: 369
- Total fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated fat: 1.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5 g
- Added Sugars: 0 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Potassium: 993 mg
- Calcium: 86 mg
1½ cups of instant brown rice
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon Sautéed Spinach
1 Tbs. olive or canola oil
6 cups of spinach, washed and dried
½ lemon or 2 tsp. bottled lemon juice
- In a saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach, handfuls at a time, leaving enough room to stir. If all the spinach won’t fit in the pan let some wilt down and continue to add spinach until all leaves are wilted.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over spinach (or sprinkle juice from bottle).
Source: American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program, heart.org/simplecooking