Assistant Site Coordinator, VITA
The Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS), a private non-profit agency incorporated in 1981, is the legally designated anti-poverty agency for Somerville. The mission of CAAS is to reduce poverty among local families and individuals while working to counteract, and whenever possible, eliminate, the societal conditions that cause and perpetuate poverty.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides free income tax preparation to low-to-moderate income individuals and families earning less than $58,000 a year. IRS-trained volunteers are certified to prepare basic tax returns using Taxslayer Online software. VITA sites also connect families to programs and services that can help them to maximize their tax refunds, such as matched savings programs, budget coaching, financial education, and benefits
The VITA Assistant Site Coordinator provides coordination, organization, and supervision for the VITA site. This is a part-time, temporary position from approximately early November 2021 through April 2022.
Specific duties include:
- Attend all day training; take and pass the IRS certification exams.
- Work with other site staff to schedule dates and times that the site will be operational; develop and maintain schedules for volunteer tax preparers, greeters, and quality reviewers;
- Act as primary quality reviewer and approve tax returns for submission;
- Monitor volunteers to ensure quality review is being conducted and privacy maintained; ensure that the site adheres to IRS quality guidelines and standards;
- Support volunteers by answering questions, solving problems, and correcting errors;
- Work with volunteers and taxpayers to address returns rejected by the IRS;
- Maintain records of prepared returns at the site.
- Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ) and some experience preparing tax returns; previous experience volunteering at a VITA site preferred.
- Basic computer skills (Internet, email, Excel and Word).
- Comfortable working with diverse, low-income and/or those with limited English.
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, and customer service skills.