BIPOC Business Admin for Cambridge-Somerville Black Business Network
Building Local, Green & Fair Economies
The Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) is a non-profit membership organization that engages business and community leaders in building economies that are local, green, and fair. SBN’s Local Food Program is known regionally for its work supporting local food businesses and farms through events, campaigns, and workshops. SBN is seeking a BIPOC Business Administrator for the Cambridge-Somerville Black Business Network (CSBBN) serving Black businesses in Cambridge and Somerville, MA. The Cambridge-Somerville Black Business Network brings together Black entrepreneurs and develops and advocates for programs and policies to help ensure these businesses survive the pandemic and thrive moving forward. This role will report to Laury Hammel and Nicola Williams and work to increase and support the membership of CSBBN. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, and motivated professional with experience in the following core areas: social organizing; program coordination; relationship-building; and marketing.
Founded in June 2020, the Cambridge-Somerville Black Business Network is facilitated by Nicola Williams of The Williams Agency and sponsored by the Sustainable Business Network of MA (SBN) and Cambridge Local First (CLF). Our network at this time includes 50 businesses. This initiative will convene and work with Black-owned businesses based in Cambridge and Somerville that are in at least one of these phases: 1) Start-Up 2) Expansion 3) Recovery from the COVID-19 Pandemic. CSBBN recently launched the Equity Fund, which will offer grants and low/no interest loans to Black-owned businesses in order to develop the ecosystem for Black businesses to start, grow, and thrive in Cambridge. Access to funding will be critical for the survival and development of Black businesses in Cambridge. The Equity Fund will build community capacity by working with a qualified pool of technical assistance providers. There will be a major focus on connecting and supporting Black Business owners with affordable retail spaces in Cambridge through our relationships with the City, Institutions, and developers.
- Support our CSBBN Network of close to 50 members.
- Connect CSBBN Members with technical assistance resources, mentors, funding opportunities available within our networks, and CSBBN core partners such as Cambridge Savings Bank, City of Cambridge, Cambridge Local First, and the Black Economic Council of Massachusetts.
- Manage and execute the in-take process for the Equity Fund.
- Work closely with the funded business in developing a funding success plan and coordinate follow-up technical assistance.
- Assist in planning and executing membership events, (e.g. procurement fairs, webinars, networking events, and food fairs) focused on amplifying and promoting CSBBN businesses.
- Coordinate, develop and execute online and in-person workshops for our CSBBN members.
- Build and foster relationships between CSBBN members, SBN, and its affiliates, including other like-minded organizations and businesses; and SBN’s existing members in supporting the technical assistance needs of our Black-owned entrepreneurs.
- Create and promote content for CSBBN businesses in newsletters, flyers, social media posts.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a social science; or four years business or community based practical experience.
- 2 years’ experience in working with and supporting entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Experience in relationship creation and management with strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Experience working with communities of color and grassroots organizations, with understanding of systemic oppressions.
- Prior development experience with an association or business or 2 years of social organizing experience
- Quick learner, detail-oriented, multi-tasker and self-starter who can work independently and organize many competing priorities to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Highly collaborative team player who demonstrates a positive attitude.
- Proficient using Microsoft Word and basic knowledge of Google Docs
- Experience working with diversity, equity, and inclusion issues and networks with Black and Brown businesses.
- Entrepreneurial or prior business owner experience.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of the concepts related to diversity, equity and inclusion that impact business and community.
- Prior events planning experience is helpful.
- Multilingual proficiency or fluency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole is preferred, but not required.
- Basic knowledge of software such as Formstack, Constant Contact, Mailchimp or similar, familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM software preferred.
Expectations and Compensation
Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends. Salaried position – $53K- $55K per year.
Hours/Benefits: Position is full-time and includes a full benefit package including partial health and dental insurance reimbursement, paid vacation time and professional development.
Inquiries: Questions in advance of application should be directed to Laury Hammel, Executive Director and email email@example.com. Individuals interested in this position should apply via email, firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will remain open until filled. Resume review will begin immediately.
Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. SBN is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. SBN prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.