Boston Harbor Now is committed to re-establishing Boston as one of the world’s truly great coastal cities – ensuring a vibrant, welcoming, and resilient Boston Harbor, waterfront, and islands for everyone. This is an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of talented individuals who work closely with public agencies, communities, the private sector, and non-profit partners.
This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager and works closely with the Director of Communications. The Communications Coordinator is a key member of the Communications team who ensures that all of Boston Harbor Now’s digital and print materials are crafted and disseminated in a way that is accurate, timely, and in line with Boston Harbor Now’s brand standards. The Communications Coordinator helps to engage diverse audiences that are part of Boston Harbor Now’s constituencies and digital communities, raising awareness of programs, topics, and engagement opportunities that are central to Boston Harbor Now’s mission. The ideal candidate is highly organized, has experience with digital marketing, and is excited to help others connect with Boston’s Harbor and waterfront public spaces.
Boston Harbor Now is a non-profit organization committed to equitable access, climate resiliency, and the Harbor’s role in the health and economy of our region. As the legislated partner of the Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park and the City’s partner for the Harborwalk, it encourages people to explore Boston’s waterfront and Islands by promoting and hosting hundreds of free and low-cost recreational, cultural and social events. Boston Harbor Now partners with the City of Boston and waterfront communities to prepare for sea-level rise while promoting outstanding waterfront open space, and partners with the Mass Department of Transportation to develop and advance a Boston Harbor-wide water transportation plan for expanded ferry service. We support investment and innovation in Boston’s working port to better support our 21st Century maritime economy.
Boston Harbor Now’s vision is bold and requires a broad range of expertise, including planning, policy, business, operations, development, advocacy, communications, and programming. A key part of our mission is ensuring our communities are protected from the impacts of our changing climate, including sea-level rise and storms. Current projects underway include the Stone Living Lab – focused on finding nature-based solutions to sea-level rise; the redevelopment of Long Wharf as a climate-resilient water transportation gateway to the Harbor; development of Moakley Park, the City’s largest waterfront park that will be a model for resilient park design serving some of those most in need of high-quality recreation; and implementation of the Master Plan for Peddocks Island.
For more information about Boston Harbor Now, please visit: www.bostonharbornow.org
About the Position
Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and disseminating content across our channels (chiefly through social media and mailing lists), monitoring and updating websites, and supporting the production of print and digital materials. The Communications Coordinator liaises with other staff across departments at Boston Harbor Now, as well as with staff members at partner agencies and organizations to source information on upcoming events, news, and engagement opportunities across Boston’s harbor and waterfront.
- Sourcing and executing mailing list campaigns via Mailchimp platform for Boston Harbor Now and Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park
- Developing social media calendar and content, and monitoring / responding to social media channels
- Monitoring websites and updating content regularly on WordPress
- Marketing public programs and events through calendar listings and paid posts, and supporting ticketing through Eventbrite
- Updating press mentions database and creating monthly press reports
- Tracking engagement metrics and generating quarterly reports
- Designing program flyers, social media graphics, and other engagement materials
- Working with outside vendors on the production of branded materials
- Performing basic video editing and uploading for webinars and virtual programs
- Staffing special events and community programs as needed, especially when documenting for social media
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a marketing- or communications-focused role
- Experience with common social media platforms, planning, and execution
- Experience managing mailing lists and developing email campaigns. Familiarity with Mailchimp platform is a plus.
- Experience in graphic design and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite design programs (especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience managing and developing content for websites, particularly with WordPress or similar Content Management System (CMS) platforms.
- Video production and editing skills and familiarity with Premiere Pro are highly desired, but not required.
- A combination of relevant work/educational experience. Other credentials, traditional and nontraditional, and experience are considered and appreciated.
If you are uncertain whether your experience matches every qualification but are motivated and eager to learn, we encourage you to apply.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is highly organized, has attention to detail, and enjoys learning new systems
- Is a self-starter who is comfortable working independently and collaborating with a wide range of staff, partners, and stakeholders
- Is adept at sharing information clearly and concisely through both written and visual modes of communication
- Cares about our blue and green public open spaces, and is excited to share these resources with others
- Is highly creative and enjoys bringing these skill sets to work every day
- Is passionate about representing and attracting the broad spectrum of the region’s diverse population through strong visual storytelling.
Work Hours and Physical Requirements
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits included. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. Boston Harbor Now is currently operating with a hybrid work model, with some in-person activities requiring travel to downtown Boston as well as to Boston’s waterfront and Boston Harbor Islands. Candidates should be located within commuting distance of Boston at the date of hire.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $38,000 – $42,000 annually plus a competitive and inclusive benefits package, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Boston Harbor Now is an intentionally diverse workplace. We are intentional about hiring, developing, and retaining people of color at all levels. We don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them, we value them, we promote them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, volunteers, supporters, partners, and community. We recognize that people bring their personal histories to work and that we make better decisions when we include a wide range of experiences and opinions.
Diversity refers not only to race and gender but also to an array of human differences including culture, ethnicity, geography, socio-economic position, ability, sexual orientation, background, perspective, and more that exist in the community and are reflected in the workforce. We value using a race equity lens to manage the organization and create spaces for conversations on race and ongoing staff and board engagement and empowerment to redesign policies, practices, services, and programs. Boston Harbor Now strongly believes that diversity plays an essential role in our mission, fostering innovation and creativity, attracting the best candidates to our team, and enhancing our ability to serve.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and résumé as a single pdf attachment to email@example.com and include “Communications Coordinator – Last Name” in the email subject line. A link to a portfolio or design samples is welcome but not required.