Financial Business Analyst
Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the power of youth in under-resourced communities to build Career success, Entrepreneurial mindsets, and Opportunity. We help students become the CEO of their own lives.
BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the spark – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston. Our new digital offerings are reaching up to 15,000 students in 50 cities. For more information, please visit www.build.org.
BUILD is made up of a diverse, results driven and passionate team who believe in the potential of every student and the power of entrepreneurship to transform the education landscape. We work in a collaborative environment where perseverance, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters. We believe in the potential of every student and are dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them.
Reporting to the Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO), the Business Analyst (BA) serves as a connection between the Finance team and the operating regions. The BA prepares various analyses in order to provide timely and relevant updates of BUILD’s financial performance and implications of BUILD strategic decisions. Reports include the annual budget, monthly budget versus actual results, grant reports, Finance Committee packages and Board packages. In addition, the BA may assist the National Director of Finance in preparation of the annual audit supporting materials and the organizations Form 990. The BA’s reporting will help BUILD stakeholders understand BUILD’s financial performance, position, strategy, and outlook.
Annual Budgeting – 30%
- Working with the CFOO, Regional Executive Directors and senior BUILD management, develop annual operating budgets.
- Working with the CFOO, develop supporting materials for the BUILD Finance Committee and BUILD Board
Monthly and Periodic Reporting – 25%
- Prepare monthly budget versus actual reports for distribution to Regional Executive Directors, senior BUILD management and selected BUILD Board members
- Prepare monthly analytical reports to be distributed in conjunction with such monthly reports
- Prepare reporting packages for BUILD National Board meetings along with content for regional Advisory Board meetings as requested by Regional Executive Directors
- Working with the CFOO, prepare reporting packages for BUILD National Finance Committee and regional Finance Committees as requested by Regional Executive Directors
- Refine and regularly update financial dashboards for Board of Directors and BUILD leadership
- Design dynamic reports that users can independently run as needed
- Creating multi-year financial projections (income statement and balance sheet) with scenario functionality and sensitivity analysis
- Perform other analysis projects, as needed
Grant Reporting – 20%
- Working with grant writers and senior BUILD management, prepare required grant reports in support of major BUILD grants.
- Maintain clear and accurate records of grants and reports, including activity tracking through BUILD’s database.
Annual Audit – 10%
- Working with the National Director of Finance and CFOO prepare audit supporting documents as needed
- Working with the CFOO, develop qualitative commentary as needed to support audited financial records.
Special Projects for CFO – 15%
- Projects could include analysis of financial aspects of BUILD operating model, working with Director of Talent on appropriate BUILD salary bands, implications of various strategic initiatives and process improvements within the BUILD organization.
- BA or BS degree in Finance required in Finance; MBA highly desirable.
- 3+ years of Finance experience required; non-profit experience preferred.
- Tech Savvy; knowledge of industry standard accounting software required; familiarity with Sage Intacct preferred
- Ability to effectively interact with C-level executives.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information for reports, overviews, and messaging points
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and technical skills.
- BUILD requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying medical exemption or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
Successful candidates will demonstrate BUILD’s Core Values and competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
- Keep Students at the Center – As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
- Bring the Spark – As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students – Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
- Bridge Communities – As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
- Promote Diversity and Social Action – As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
Role Specific Competencies:
- Working Style—ability to work independently while collaborating with other BUILD staff in order to complete assigned responsibilities.
- Project Management—identifies and thinks through all necessary steps of a project, sets appropriate deadlines, moves seamlessly between prioritized tasks, identifies required participants and holds self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines
- Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis—reviews quantitative and/or qualitative data sets in order to recognize patterns, identifies additional information or data needed, and draws conclusions
- Custom Service Orientation – anticipate and respond promptly and professionally to requests and needs from all key stakeholders and set clear expectations while taking other perspectives into account.
- Organization – assemble information and objects in a systematic way that allows quick and easy access.
- Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Any BUILD office (Boston, San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City)
- Occasional travel is required during the year for staff retreats and meetings.
The salary for Business Analyst ranges from $75-95k in accordance with BUILD’s equity focused salary bands. BUILD offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees. This includes employer paid medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts (FSA), employer paid life insurance, and a 403(b) plan with match. In addition, eligible BUILD employees qualify for generous vacation, sick, paid Federal holidays, and December 24 through January 1 off, a flexible work environment, professional development and additional stipends for stretch projects.
COVID-19 Commitment to Safety:
BUILD requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable accommodations based on a qualifying medical exemption or sincerely held religious beliefs are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. Please be advised that you will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application. We will contact all applicants that meet the requirements of the role. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.