Gift Processing Manager
Come join the Development Department at Massachusetts Historical Society!
The Gift Processing Manager (GPM) is an integral member of the Development Department, with ownership of the core operations for the full life cycle of the gift, including constituent data entry, gift processing, acknowledgment development, financial reporting and donor database hygiene.
This position reports directly to the Associate Director of Development.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The GPM is responsible for the complete gift life cycle operation using the Blackbaud Altru donor database. Comprehensive professional training in all relevant Altru modules will be provided. The GPM will act as the Development liaison to the Finance Department, providing them with timely gift reports and participating in regular audit reconciliation.
The GPM will process approximately 2,500 gifts and membership dues payments annually, create and process the corresponding acknowledgments, and maintain donor records for a growing constituency. As a critical member of the fundraising team, the GPM might attend periodic committee meetings and help staff occasional evening or weekend Development events.
– Conducts gift processing via all sources such as stock transfers, EFT, donor advised funds, checks, credit cards, planned gifts, etc.
– Ensures that all donors are properly stewarded with timely acknowledgments and informative communications about their gifts
– Audits acknowledgement templates on an annual basis and suggests updates
– Provides Development Department with revenue reports as needed, including the weekly
– Files all digital gift documentation, as well as specialty documentation for major gifts
– Provides the Finance department with batch reports, gift documentation, and giving reports
– Works with the Finance department to ensure that gifts are booked in accordance with
donor intent and appropriate accounting codes
– Reconciles gift reports with Finance on a monthly basis
– Helps maintain data hygiene by performing routine utility functions, making
recommendations for best practices, and updating constituent data points
– Bachelor’s Degree
– Minimum of 5 years of relevant Development experience
– Proficiency in Blackbaud Altru or comparable fundraising software
– Advanced facility with Excel, including pivot tables
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Acrobat
– Experience processing contributions ranging in size from three to seven-figure gifts for both
annual fund and restricted purposes
– Experience processing planned gifts
– Experience creating custom queries and exporting custom reports
– Ability to prioritize competing tasks and create an organized system for pivoting between them
– Ability to be extremely detail-oriented and accurate with the interpretation and entry of data
– Ability to work collaboratively inside an organization and with external constituencies, such as
donors and their financial representatives
– Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
– Ability to exercise good judgement, confidentiality, and discretion
– Alignment with, interest in, and respect for the Society’s mission
– A collegial attitude, adaptability, dependability, and strong team work ethic
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resume under the subject line “Gift Processing Manager” to
email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Massachusetts Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer.
We aim to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Candidates of all backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a work place free from harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law (also known as membership in a “protected class”). We offer a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.