HOPE Forward Postsecondary Coach
JOB DESCRIPTION: As a part of the Success Boston initiative, PIC postsecondary coaches provide college and career support to Boston Public Schools (BPS) graduates transitioning from high school to Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) in order to increase college persistence and completion rates. The HOPE Forward coaches will add new Opportunity Youth students to PIC cohorts, with a particular focus on young men of color. The new cohorts include BPS graduates from past classes not attending college, in addition to working with the PIC postsecondary team to recruit graduating seniors. Postsecondary coaches are responsible for student recruitment, transition support, persistence coaching, program reporting, and collaborating within the PIC postsecondary team. HOPE Forward coaches also will work with BHCC student leaders who are young men of color, who will provide peer support for coached students and bring their experience and leadership into the Success Boston learning community. The work is part of a larger citywide initiative to improve college outcomes for BPS graduates, and the team is part of a policy and practice community that applies its learnings to increase college completion rates for BPS graduates, who are largely first-generation students of color.
- Identifies and recruits high school seniors or graduates who are interested in attending BHCC, in collaboration with fellow PIC staff, the Boston Public Schools, and BHCC.
- Attends college and career events to inform students and local programs of the postsecondary coaching services available.
- Provides one-on-one coaching that:
a. supports college persistence and career exploration
b. supports positive identity and leadership development for young men of color
c. helps students develop the life skills, organizational skills and leadership skills they need to navigate college and career
d. connects students with services that may be available through high school, college, or community program staff in areas including:
- college exploration and visits
- college admission process
- financial aid and scholarship resources
- course selection and advising
- academic tutoring
- development of an academic and career plan
- resume and job interview preparation
2. Connects students to small group sessions for academic, skill-building, and social support.
3. In conjunction with postsecondary staff, develops and delivers:
a. annual orientation for new student participants
b. summer series of college preparation and team building workshops
Program Reporting, Research and Evaluation
- Maintains accurate records and collects and enters required information and case notes for each student in coaching cohort, including regularly updated contact information, academic progress, and attendance at group and individual meetings in order to track delivery of services and to develop required reports.
- Participates in ongoing tracking of outcomes, evaluation of services, and program development, as part of the postsecondary team and the citywide Success Boston initiative.
- Additional duties as required through postsecondary program development.
- Builds on employer partnerships or develop new partnerships, in collaboration with the Employer Engagement team, to identify jobs for postsecondary program participants.
- Follows up on program graduates’ employment connections.
- Counseling, training, or teaching experience with young adults of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of schools (BPS high schools and Boston’s postsecondary institutions), local communities, and web-based resources.
- Knowledge of career assessment and career decision-making tools and resources for young adults.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills; bilingual skills a plus.
- Proven ability to initiate, multi-task, and balance work projects.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Ability to travel throughout the Greater Boston area as required.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of related experience.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Cameron Mendes-Moreau (email@example.com).