Manager of Fundraising Events
The Manager of Fundraising Events will play in integral role in the Development Office, directly reporting to the Director of Leadership Programs, Events & Special Projects. The Manager will contribute to the overall success of the department by helping to manage all fundraising-related event logistics for Spaulding Rehabilitation and Mass General Brigham Home Care, including but not limited to, Spaulding Tee Off, Race for Rehab program, and Mass General Brigham Home Care Tee Off. The Manager will provide guidance for all third-party events, as needed. Additionally, the Manager will collaborate with the Director to procure new sponsors and assist with committee engagement. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to apply their management skills at one of the world’s leading rehabilitation hospitals as part of a highly professional and collaborative team focus on excellent fundraising programs.
Given the uncertainty of hosting in-person events due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Manager may be asked to pivot to the planning of virtual events and/or assisting with other projects as needed.
This is an exciting time to join the Development Team at Spaulding—home to Harvard Medical School’s Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, ranked a “Top Three” Rehabilitation Hospital by U.S. News & World Report for three years running, and dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families coping with disabilities from injury and illness. Following the successful conclusion of the $75 million-plus Campaign for Spaulding Research Institute in 2022, the Development Team is ramping up its activities to further bolster the network’s research and clinical missions through endowment and other philanthropic gifts, all to sustain Spaulding’s excellence for generations to come.
• Manage all fundraising-related events, including those associated with Spaulding’s Race for Rehab program, two golf tournaments, and galas, and provide guidance for 3rd party events.
• Develop collaborative working relationships with Major Gift Officers, Annual Giving, Communications, and Donor Systems, as well as hospital stakeholders, from physicians to board members and grateful patients, to achieve Development goals.
• Collaborate with the Manager of Stewardship Events, assisting with events related to donor engagement, such as anniversary celebrations, ribbon cuttings, educational opportunities for Spaulding’s greatest supporters, and cultivation of prospective donors.
• Work with the Director to reengage past sponsors and solicit new sponsors.
• Identify and build relationships with event suppliers and venues; negotiate event contracts with emphasis on cost effectiveness.
• Secure budget-alleviating in-kind donations including food, beverage, production, printing, décor, and other items.
• Manage logistics and collateral materials (sites, food, florals, signage, decorations, program books, audio visual, etc.) for all events.
• In concert with the Development Communications Team, support event communications efforts through the development of invitee lists, design of invitations, facilitation of mailings, updating of website content, and all other communications needs for events.
• Supervise and participate in the solicitation of auction and raffle gifts as required via face-to-face meetings and coordinated mailings.
• Recruit and manage volunteers for each event. Ensure assignments are clearly outlined and properly executed.
• Serve as Team Subject Matter Expert for Atlas (CRM.); manage response tracking and follow-up in Atlas, including the recording of invitees, participants, revenue, and expenses. Ensure timely processing and acknowledgement of all event-related activities in collaboration with the Donor Systems Team and Development Coordinator.
• Manage event timelines for all events including follow-up activities.
• In concert with the Senior Director of Development Operations, ensure all vendors are paid and pledges are closed in a timely manner.
• Propose/implement new ideas to improve event planning processes and procedures.
• Stay informed on industry trends, applying them to realize fundraising growth.
• Shared management of one Development Coordinator. Contribute to annual assessments and performance expectations in collaboration with the Director and Major Gifts Team.
• Availability outside of regular business hours (including some weekends) is required.
• Shared management of one Development Coordinator.
• Help meet/exceed event team revenue goals of $2 million annually, including managing event expenses within team budget.
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Minimum 3–5 years of event management experience, specifically in managing and executing high-caliber, results-driven events, preferably fundraising events.
• Comprehensive understanding of fundraising principles and practices, ideally at in healthcare.
• Proven ability to motivate, engage, and work with high-value prospects, donors, volunteers and senior staff, or similar constituencies in a collaborative manner.
• Demonstrated track record of successful sponsorship and in-kind gift solicitations.
• Experience with Blackbaud CRM, or another fundraising platform.
• Knowledge of healthcare field, preferably Mass General Brigham or comparable system.
Skills: Specific learned activity gained through training (e.g., computer skills, keyboarding, presentation, CPR, ACLS, etc.)
• Customer-centric, with the ability to provide a high level of service to multiple constituents and partners simultaneously.
• Excellent communication and writing skills are necessary, as is the ability to work collaboratively with other members of the staff, physicians, administrative leaders, and volunteers.
• Exhibit exceptional project management skills, from concept to execution
• Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced occasionally unpredictable environment. Work as part of a team and handle multiple tasks simultaneously with poise, enthusiasm, discretion, and professionalism.
• Ability to develop fruitful relationships with key constituencies.
• Outstanding organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Suite products (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Competency using videoconferencing platforms (Zoom and Teams preferred)