Senior Research Manager, Boston Indicators
The Boston Foundation believes that one of the great strengths of the Greater Boston community is the rich diversity of its residents in race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age and physical abilities. The Foundation seeks to enhance and support that diversity, not only by its grant making, but also by adopting and implementing employment policies and practices designed to recognize and respond to such diversity.
The Boston Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experience.
All applications should be submitted online. Go to https://www.tbf.org/who-we-are/careers and select “Senior Research Manager, Boston Indicators” to complete our online application process.
Title: Senior Research Manager, Boston Indicators
Department: Communications and Public Affairs
Reports To: Senior Director, Boston Indicators
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
The Senior Research Manager supports and advances the goals of Boston Indicators, conducting original research, managing research projects, and developing ongoing working relationships with TBF staff, community groups, and civic leaders across Greater Boston.
- Producing data-driven research and analysis on topics including, but certainly not limited to, demographic trends in Boston and Massachusetts, jobs and the economy, education, criminal justice, health and the racial wealth gap and economic insecurity in Greater Boston;
- Communicating research findings in ways that are accessible to a range of non-technical audiences, often through the production of reports, articles, factsheets, briefings and presentations;
- Developing and stewarding external relationships, helping the Director expand the reach and depth of connections with key partners and stakeholders; and
- Managing projects over the full project pipeline from conception through to completion.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Master’s degree required or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent work experience; and
- 4 years relevant professional experience (preferred).
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Strong written and oral communications skills, including public speaking and presentation skills;
- Strong project management skills, with a proven ability to lead complex projects;
- Proficiency using a statistical software package to analyze administrative and survey data – for instance, using R or STATA to analyze American Community Survey Public Use Microdata Sample files;
- Demonstrated ability using data from different US Census Bureau sources (e.g. the Decennial Census, the American Community Survey, the Current Population Survey);
- Ability and flexibility working across a wide range of issue areas;
- Proficiency analyzing large data sets in Excel;
- Ability to give and receive criticism constructively and work to and meet tight deadlines under pressure;
- Ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
- Flexible, collegial and supportive toward constituents and colleagues;
- Proficiency with Geographic Information System (GIS) applications (preferred);
- Graphic design skills (preferred); and
- Video production skills (preferred).
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- The ability to work on a computer for long periods of time; and
- Ability to work on-site and remotely as required.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.