Sterile Processing Technician
Come join the awesome team at Beth Israel Lahey Health Mount Auburn Hospital!
- Demonstrates the competency of a CSR Technician I in all areas of the job. While maintaining a strong competence in decontamination, the CSR II focuses equally on the assembly of kits.
- Assists the Lead Tech and other Technician colleagues with orientation and training of new team members or with new procedures and techniques.
- Completes all documentation in the Instrument Tracking System.
- Ensures proper operation of autoclave equipment prior to use on a daily basis. Inspects gas plasma and steam autoclaves for visible signs of malfunction and reports discrepancy to supervisor immediately.
- Performs biological and chemical tests during work shift. Maintains appropriate spore testing routinely and records results as required.
- Follows policy and procedure in processing all contaminated instruments and supplies returned to Sterile Processing. Disassembles and cleans procedure trays and instruments using detergent. Replaces lost or damaged instruments as required to complete the tray.
- Uses knowledge of sterilization principle to correctly wrap and package items for sterilization.
- Assembles all instrument procedure trays and packs, using instrument count sheets as a guide. Accurately labels supplies with appropriate identification, indicating the date prepared and sterilized, preparer’s initials, and product name. May work on more complex instrumentation processes and loaner sets.
- Processes all applicable items using the appropriate form of sterilization.
- Safely operates decontamination equipment including cart washer, washer/decontaminator, Soap Dosers and ultrasonic cleaner.
- Applies aseptic technique in daily work assignment. Performs general cleaning of work surfaces, supply shelves, and storage cabinets. Maintains assigned work areas and equipment in a clean and organized condition to maintain required standards for handling of sterilized and clean materials and equipment.
- Assembles case carts for Operating Room and Day Surgery, including instrument kits and disposable products for use in-patient care areas. Utilizes hospital computer system to accurately order and charge for supplies.
- Handles soiled instruments and equipment from ancillary departments to be reprocessed.
- Receives, replenishes and rotates material into the Sterile Processing Department inventory storage areas.
- Identifies inactive and outdated supplies, makes recommendation for inventory reduction or deletion, submits inventory correction and adjustment to supervisor.
- Accurately charges all supplies through computerized inventory management system.
- Assists in supplies distribution as assigned.
- Must be able to read, write, comprehend and follow written and verbal instructions. High School diploma or equivalent and proficiency in basic mathematics required.
- Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) IAHCSM or CBSPD strongly preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of infection control and sterilization.
- Demonstrated ability in the computerized inventory system, normally acquired through 1-5 years of work experience in a Sterile Processing and Supply Distribution environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills preferred. Full command of the English language and attention to detail is required.
- Capable of routine heavy lifting, pushing, bending, carrying, standing and walking constantly.
- Basic computer skills.
- Physical demands including standing, walking, stooping, bending, and lifting objects for a majority of the workday.
- Some exposure to infectious and hazardous materials.
- Exposure to high temperatures.
- Some exposure to carcinogenic gases.