Visitor Services Associate
Come join our Visitor Services team! The Massachusetts Historical Society (MHS) seeks a full-time Visitor Services Associate (VSA) to greet visitors and provide a rich overview of multiple facets of the Society’s resources. As the first point of contact for visitors to the MHS, the Visitor Services (VS) team provides a welcoming and friendly first impression, offers information and assistance regarding exhibitions, programs, events, activities, and facilities within the Society, and assists with safety and security of visitors and collections.
Founded in 1791, the Massachusetts Historical Society is an invaluable resource for American history, life, and culture. Its extraordinary collections tell the story of America through millions of rare and unique documents, artifacts, and irreplaceable national treasures. Its collections are accessible to anyone with an interest in American history. Beyond research, the MHS offers many ways for the public to enjoy its collections including engaging programs, thought-provoking exhibitions, publications, seminars, and teacher workshops.
This position staffs the Visitor Services desk Tuesdays to Saturdays. Typically, this position staffs the desk Tuesdays from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM; Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Fridays from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM; and Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Visitor services also covers evening programs at the building.
Duties: The visitor services team leads the daily operations of the admissions desk with a focus on customer service, organization, and efficiency. The team is responsible for answering the telephone and routing calls to the appropriate staff members, monitoring deliveries, providing assistance to visitors with specific needs, assisting with administrative work, handling visitor complaints, and receiving and recording visitor feedback. The team assists with other projects as needed. The VSA:
- Welcomes all visitors and guests in a professional and friendly manner.
- Maintains the security of the building by keeping accurate records of arrivals and departures and reasons for visits through our visitor management software, controlling traffic in and out of the lobby and enforcing security policies.
- Provides general and accurate information about the Society, its exhibitions, events, membership, and other resources.
- Provides appropriate assistance to visitors with specific needs.
- Effectively handles visitor and guest complaints, including receiving and recording visitor feedback.
- Answers the telephone and directs calls to the appropriate staff members.
- Follows evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency and assists visitors.
- Works with security officer in monitoring CCTV and access control systems.
- Helps to enforce policies regarding scheduling of meetings, parking, and visitors.
- Helps provide initial and follow-up training of VS procedures and software for Library Reader Services staff.
- Assists in the registration and implementation of various events.
- Restocks MHS brochures, calendars, and other relevant collateral as needed.
- Performs other duties from time-to-time.
Requirements: The successful candidate is a people-oriented individual who enjoys meeting, engaging with, and assisting a variety of groups and people from different backgrounds and experiences. A background working with a diverse public in a visitor service, customer service, or similar position is strongly preferred. Broad general knowledge and interest in American history, the community, and visitor services is a plus. The strongest candidates will demonstrate:
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning and organization skills.
- The ability to assess and anticipate needs and be a problem solver.
- The ability to consistently enforce policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Broad general knowledge and interest in American history, the community, and visitor services is strongly preferred; familiarity with visitor management software and Square (or similar point of sale system) is preferred.
Salary: The MHS offers a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
Application procedure: E-mail a cover letter, brief resume, and names of three references to Carol Knauff at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
The MHS is an equal opportunity employer.
We aim to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Candidates of all backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a work place free from harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by law (also known as membership in a “protected class”). We offer a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.