Youth Services Coordinator
Samaritans, Inc. is the leading suicide prevention organization in Massachusetts, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress, and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to support those impacted by a suicide loss. For nearly 50 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support, free of charge, to callers through its Helpline, and now to texters as well.
This growing organization provides prevention, intervention, and postvention services that make our communities healthier and happier, and reduces the stigma associated with suicide and mental health concerns. We provide a working environment that celebrates the positive lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
POSITION REPORTS TO
Director, Youth Services and Technology
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY FOR
Volunteers staffing the Youth Support text helpline
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Youth Services Coordinator’s role is to ensure adequate coverage on the peer support text line by helping recruit, train, support and manage youth volunteers for the program.
- Recruit youth volunteers to staff the Youth Text Line
- Assist in training new volunteers
- Manages schedule to ensure adequate staff coverage on helpline
- Conducts quality assurance assessments
- Work closely with other members of the Crisis Services Team
- When in the office, provide on-site support to volunteers in the event of an emergency as relayed in the emergency management plan
- Participates in staff meetings and supervision
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Minimum of two years of professional experience preferred
- Previous work as a volunteer preferred
- Knowledge of the field of suicide and suicide prevention
- Experience working on a crisis helpline and with youth a plus
- Ability to be empathetic and engage in active, non-judgmental listening with our users
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Must be able to display good, sound judgment
- Must possess strong communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflicts appropriately
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork across the organization
- Successful completion of the 26-hour Volunteer Befriender Training and assigned learning shifts on the helpline after hire
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Employer matched 401(k) Plan
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage as well as Life Insurance
- Health (Samaritans covers 85% of premium), Dental (Samaritans covers 90% of premium) and Vision insurance
- Healthcare and Childcare FSA, Commuter Benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Vacation (New hires start with 10 days), Sick (8 days) and Personal Time Off (5 days)
- Paid Family Medical Leave benefits
- 14 paid holidays
- Direct deposit payroll
Currently all Samaritans employees are working remotely. Applicants should be aware that this position is currently remote. It is anticipated that the Samaritans office, located in Downtown Boston, hope to reopen Spring 2022 at which time employees will return with flexibility per agreement with their supervisor and after a period of onboarding for new hires.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter* (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position, and how you learned about this opportunity. Email to email@example.com with “Youth Services Coordinator” in the subject line.
*Applications that are missing a resume or cover letter may not be considered.
To learn more about Samaritans, please visit: www.samaritanshope.org
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.