Test your Black history knowledge
1. What was the name of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s father’s church?
_ Ebenezer Baptist
_ Atlanta Southern Baptist
_ Southern Church of the People
_ Atlanta Tabernacle
2. What group launched the Freedom Rides in 1961?
_ ACLU — American Civil Liberties Union
_ SCLC — Southern Christian Leadership Conference
_ CORE — Congress of Racial Equality
_ SNCC — Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee
3. At the time of her historic bus incident, what was Rosa Park’s occupation?
_ Hospital orderly
_ Drugstore clerk
_ High School cafeteria worker
_ Department store seamstress
4. SNCC member Stokely Carmichael was instrumental in forming the Lowndes County Freedom Organization in Alabama. What was its symbol?
_ A balance scale
_ The letters MLK
_ A black panther
_ A raised fist
5. Who wrote the bestselling memoir “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings”?
_ Maya Angelou
_ Coretta Scott King
_ Fannie Lou Hamer
_ Rosa Parks
6. What was Muhammad Ali’s original name?
_ Leviticus Lewis
_ Marcellus Moore
_ Cassius Clay
_ Aaron Brown
7. In 1960, four African American college students stage a sit-in that helped integrate this store’s lunch counter.
_ W.T. Grant
_ G.C. Murphy
_ S.S. Kresge
8. What famous baseball player said, “Today’s black athletes have no idea what we had to endure”
_ Hank Aaron
_ Bob Gibson
_ Ernie Banks
_ Willie Mays
9. Members of what labor union helped to build the nation’s black middle class and civil rights movement?
_ Brotherhood of Sleeping Cars Porters
_ American Federal of Teachers
_ Communications Workers of America
_ International Ladies Garment Workers’ Union
10. Who was elected chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in 1966?
_ Charles E. Cobb, Jr.
_ Stokley Carmichael
_ John Lewis
_ Bobby Seale
11. What was George Washington Carver famous for developoing?
_ Peanut butter
_ Crop rotation
_ Petroleum jelly
_ Blood plasma
1. Ebenezer Baptist 2. CORE — Congress of Racial Equality 3. Department store seamstress 4. A black panther 5. Maya Angelou 6. Cassius Clay 7. Woolworth 8. Ernie Banks 9. Brotherhood of Sleeping Cars Porters 10. Stokley Carmichael 11. Crop rotation